Philosophy of Practice
The importance of fit. Dr. Antonoff’s goal is to help students and parents select colleges that are educationally, socially, and emotionally appropriate—in short, schools that “fit” the student and will allow the individual to learn, grow, and succeed.
The single most important factor in making a sound educational choice is knowledge. Dr. Antonoff offers students and their families comprehensive knowledge gleaned from his wide-ranging professional experience and research:
- Personal extensive visits to colleges internationally that include discussions with students, faculty members, and staff
- Professional interaction with college and school administrators, faculty, and students
- Personal research to uncover new information as well as verify data on such factors as admission, financial aid, academic offerings, social environment, and extracurricular activities
- Follow-up contact with thousands of former advisees regarding their experiences at their chosen colleges
- Research and experience as the author of three books. College Match has been used as a college planning guide for over 27 years. The College Finder lists colleges by an array of categories including academics, career preparation, student life, athletics, cost, and admission. A Student of Colleges: Fundamentals of Independent Educational Consulting is a text intended for the more than 5,000 professional educational consultants and details procedures and best practices to help student clients and their families find great colleges.
- Interaction with the hundreds of professional counselors Dr. Antonoff has taught through the University of California, Los Angeles, and the University of California, Irvine
The other equally important side of the knowledge equation is the self-knowledge and perspective that students and parents bring to the consultation. Dr. Antonoff believes that the consultation experience can be a journey of discovery—even for students who are self-aware and parents who think they know their child inside and out. The process not only enables students to define themselves and determine what really matters to them but also helps parents see their child with new eyes.
Dr. Antonoff works in tandem with the student and family to find colleges that are appropriate for the student’s individual abilities and personal goals. He consults with students who are gifted and those who struggle academically, students who have their lives “mapped out” and those who have no idea of what they want to study, students who are at risk because of poor choices and those who have already established themselves as scholars and leaders, students who come from private schools and a privileged upbringing and those who may be the first in their family to attend college.
Dr. Antonoff is committed to making counseling available to all students so that every young adult has access to information they need to assure future success. Full and half scholarships are available each year for consultation services.